There’s no getting away from the fact that we can’t help children and their families without charitable donations. Many amazing people organise a wide range of events every year or join in with some already arranged and choose us as their charity.
JUST £25 FUNDS A CHEMO DUCK for a child with cancer. Popular ways to raise money for Give A Duck include:
- Running, swimming or cycling – from a fun run or 5k to a full-on marathon, people have run a variety of distances on our behalf. Swim-athons and cycling various distances are also popular fundraising activities. We often have places available at a range of races and events in exchange for a minimum donation, find out more by visiting our events page.
- Bake sales – who doesn’t love a cake at work? No advanced training or special equipment is needed for a bake sale, just choose a date, tell your colleagues, recruit some other bakers and make sure you have a tub to put the money in. Don’t forget to send us your pictures by Twitter @giveaduck_uk, Instagram @giveaduck_uk or on Facebook @giveaduckUK
- Regular giving – even £1 a month would soon add up if lots of people made the choice to donate. Simply visit our Donate page to set up regular giving. Or alternatively download our Regular Giving Form, complete and send to us.
- Online shop – visit our online shop to view our selection of Give A Duck merchandise and virtual gifts
- Corporate donations – our amazing supporters Business Works give us £25 every time they sign up a new client. So far their donations have funded ducks for 72 children across the UK. Does your work have a charity of the year and could you nominate us?
- Join us at an event – we’re one of the nominated charities for this year’s Fire and Ice Ball so buy a ticket and join us for the fantastic spectacle. Find out what other events you can come along to here
- Legacy donations – you can choose to leave us any amount in your will. Just £25 funds a duck for a child with cancer, so you will be making a difference whether your donation is big or small
- Gift Aid – if you are making a personal donation to Give A Duck and you are a UK tax payer, we can claim 25p in every £1 in Gift Aid on top of your donation (at no extra cost to you). To add Gift Aid to your donation, download and complete this Gift Aid declaration form and e-mail or post back to us, please make your cheque payable to ‘The Give A Duck Foundation’.
- Quack-athon – for fundraisers at school, community groups & clubs. Bring £1 and quack for 1 minute at break times and lunch time. Optional dress up – wear something yellow or bird themed!
- Get Your Waddle On / Waddle Walk / Waddle while you work Sponsored walk dressed as ducks, wear yellow, carrying a duck teddy, waddling like a duck. Bring a £1 and waddle at work for the day!
- Duck n Dive Sponsored swim – indoor / outdoor / diving competition / scuba dive
- You’re quackers! Joke-athon / comedy night
- Flock your frock – Fashion show
- Shake a tail feather – Disco – includes songs about ducks & play the track “shake a tail feather” as the opening & finale song
- Bring your duck & read a book! – Toddler story time – duck themed stories & songs, cuppa & a cake
- Hunt the flock – Duck hunt around the playground / hook a duck anywhere!
- Duck race – Find out where your local duck race is held and get your community involved for a duck-tastic day!
A cycling birthday fundraiser!
A corporate who donates in flocks!
Friends, family and the community support her mission!
Why raise money for us?
Having cancer is a scary thing. And it’s even worse when you’re a child who perhaps isn’t old enough to understand everything that’s happening to you.
Give A Duck works with play leaders, nursing staff and families with children at Principal Treatment Centres and other hospitals in the UK to help make things a little less scary. Gabe’s Chemo Duck Program was developed in the US by specialists to alleviate anxiety and create huggable hope.
Read more about the Give A Duck education programme and the pack children are given here.
If you have another idea about how to raise money, drop us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Chemo Duck mascot sometimes drops in to fundraising events, so let us know if you’d like him to come along to your event!
Hands up who wants to help?! – We couldn’t do what we do without our amazing volunteers. If you want to give up some time to a good cause then thank you, we can always find something for you to do. Whether you’ve got one spare hour, the occasional day or can volunteer every month you’ll be helping us to achieve our mission of giving a Chemo Duck to every child with cancer in the UK.
OUR CHARITY VOLUNTEERS help by:
- Cheering on our fundraisers doing runs or swimathons. You bring your voice, we’ll provide the banners and Give A Duck t-shirts
- Collecting donation tins
- Finding places which will take our donation tins
- Publicising our fundraising efforts on social media
- Promoting Give A Duck to their workplace as a potential charity of the year
- Giving a talk at school, work or a local group about our work
- Making clothes for the ducks at their local hospital. Download the patterns kindly created by Rivers Meet Craft Café here
If you have another idea about how you could help us by volunteering your time or skills we’re always willing to listen, so please do get in touch
Why be a charity volunteer for Give A Duck?
Volunteering has been proven to have a wide range of benefits for the volunteer. From increased confidence to improving connections by meeting new people you already have something in common with, through to giving you a purpose, feeling that you’re making a difference is a very positive thing.
Researchers have discovered that being helpful makes us happier, measured by hormones and brain activity. The more you give, the happier you feel. And the sense of accomplishment that accompanies volunteering can boost confidence and create a sense of pride. Who doesn’t want that?
How you make a difference
by giving us your time
As a small charity we rely heavily on the goodwill of amazing people willing to give up their time to help us pull off our fundraising efforts.
To register your interest as a volunteer please complete the form below.
Every year 1,200 children benefit from Give A Duck. Our ducks help them better understand their treatment, feel less scared about the medical procedures they have to face, and are a comfort to them at one of the most difficult times of their lives. Thank you for thinking about helping us to help them.
One of the great benefits of the Chemo Ducks is that they can be customised to look like their owners. They already come with a bandana and a matching one for the child and lots of other things can be customised, such as the Hickman Line and a port.
Taking this idea a step further our friends at craft café Rivers Meet, based just on the outskirts of Leeds, have been working hard to help make costumes for the Chemo Ducks which are being distributed at Leeds General Infirmary in partnership with local charity Candlelighters. Feedback from children has been that they look forward to receiving a new outfit for their duck – who wouldn’t?
If you would like to give this a try at home or get friends involved we have posted some templates (courtesy of Rivers Meet) for costumes below. These can be adapted to make endless costumes for either your own duck or for Chemo Ducks at your local hospital.